Katie Rosebud Mitchell is the protagonist of the 2021 animated film The Mitchells vs. the Machines. She is a 17-year-old girl who has a passion for technology and filming videos, and she dreams to go to college where she will participate in filming.
Katie is a young lady with a lanky frame and a light complexion. She has medium length maroon hair tied into a ponytail with parts sticking out on the sides. She has dark eyes and wears large and thin black squared glasses. She also wears a yellow thunderbolt earring on her left ear and has black and red nail polish.
She wears an open, cherry red hooded jacket with white drawstrings. She has several badges attached to it, one in particular being a pride pin. Underneath her jacket is a white shirt with a drawing of a colorful monster. She wears ripped jeans. Her shoes are grey-blue with white tips and laces. She has small drawings on her hands.
Katie is an imaginative and quirky girl who enjoys filming shorts for her YouTube channel. She is socially awkward, but friendly and outgoing.
Katie is Sony Animation's first LGBTQ+ protagonist as well as the first open lesbian protagonist in a big studio family film. While it's never outright said she is lesbian until the end of the movie, there are plenty of hints throughout. She talks a lot about Jade, draws her a lot in her notebooks, considers filmmaker Celine Sciamma one of her heroes, and wears a LGBTQ flag pin on her jacket.
At the end of the movie, her sexuality is made clear by Linda as she asks if her and Jade are "official" and if she'll be bringing her home for Thanksgiving.
All her family members appear to be extremely supportive of this and treat it very naturally.
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
When Katie gets accepted into the film school of her dreams, she says goodbye to her family, but her plans to meet "her people" at college are completely upended when her nature-loving dad Rick plans for an ultimate family road trip. This means instead of flying there as she planned, Rick, her mom Linda, her little brother Aaron, and the family's pet pug Monchi, will drive Katie to her school together.
- Rick Mitchell - Rick and Katie's relationship is complicated but still loving. They do get on each others nerves a lot but no doubt still care about the other. Their relationship does improve a lot by the end.
- Linda Mitchell - Katie is very close to her mother and she seems to be the parent she can talk to the most about personal things.
- Aaron Mitchell - Katie's closest family relationship is with her younger brother, Aaron. They love each other and look out for one another like siblings but also act like best friends. Aaron becomes her voice of reason whenever she gets fed up with Rick and she gives him advice when he fears about being alone or hiding his feelings for Abbey. The two have a playful handshake called "The Raptor Bash".
- Monchi - Katie loves Monchi deeply. He always brightens her mood.
- Jade - Roommate and love interest. It's possible that they are an official couple by the end of the movie, and were confirmed to be official on the movie's Twitter.
- She is Sony Pictures Animation's very first original female protagonist and first LGBTQ+ lead.
- in Katie's college acceptance video, she shows that her biggest influences are directors Greta Gerwig, Lynne Ramsay, Hal Ashby, and Celine Sciamma. Sciamma is a pretty subtle hint at the fact that Katie is a lesbian, considering that Sciamma's films are about sexual identities, particularly in girls.
- According to her driver's license, she was born on May 14, 2003. However, this could be an error in the film as the recording of Rick moving out of the cabin with baby Katie is timestamped "May 08 2003."
- She is Sony Pictures Animation's first central protagonist in the LGBTQ+ community. Specifically, she is a lesbian girl, considering dialogue centering around her having a crush on Jade.
- Her jacket was originally going to be purple as seen in early sketches of the movie.
- Her voice actress, Abbi Jacobson is also a member of the LGBTQ community. Katie is openly gay while Jacobson is bisexual.