Wish Dragon is an upcoming computer-animated movie starring Jackie Chan, whose company, Sparkle Roll Media, will be a producer and co-investor in the film. Chan will voice characters in the Mandarin release of the film, while John Cho will voice the character in English.
The story is "a genie-in-a-bottle retelling set in contemporary China", based on an original story by Chris Appelhans. Appelhans will also direct the film "The modern-day fairy tale picks up the moral challenges that emerge from the encounter between a boy and a dragon who is able to make wishes come true."
The film is set to be released in 2020 by Sony Pictures Releasing in China and the United States.
“Wish Dragon” is the story of Din, a 19-yr old college student living in a working-class neighborhood of modern-day Shanghai, who has big dreams but small means. Din’s life changes overnight when he finds an old teapot containing a Wish Dragon named Long – a magical dragon able to grant wishes – and he is given the chance to reconnect with his childhood best friend, Li-Na.
- John Cho as Long
- Jackie Chan as Long (Mandarin)
- Jimmy Wong as Din
- Natasha Liu Bordizzo as Li Na
- Constance Wu as Mom
- Jimmy O. Yang as Small Goon
- Bobby Lee as Tall Goon
- Will Yun Lee as Mr. Wong
Wish Dragon is the first movie created by Base Animation, a new animation studio that is part of the VFX firm BaseFX. The goal of the movie and the Base Animation studio is to "make world class animation in China for China… and the world". Director Applehans "wanted the film made in China, with a strong Mainland China creative team, an international cast of talent, and a focus on the hopes and dreams of contemporary China."
- The third animated film to confirm its MPAA rating before the first trailer after Wonder Park (2019) and Abominable (2019).
- Sony Animation's 23rd feature film.
- Sony Animation's tenth fully animated film to not be accompanied by a short film after Open Season (2006), The Pirates! Band of Misfits (2012), Hotel Transylvania (2012), The Angry Birds Movie (2016), Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017), The Star (2017), Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), and Connected (2020).
- "Jackie Chan, China’s BaseFX Making ‘Wish Dragon’ for Sony Animation", Variety, Patrick Frater, April 23, 2018
- "Sony Pictures Animation To Release ‘Wish Dragon’", Cartoon Brew, Amid Amidi, April 18, 2018
- Cast list as per April 23, 2018 Variety article